Saturday, September 15, 2012

Kombucha - The Healthy Elixir - Bottling

So, its been around 16-20 days; time to start bottling our kombucha.  As you well know, kombucha is some expensive stuff in the super markets / heath food stores.  So I have taken the liberty of saving these aforementioned G.T kombucha bottles.  Why?  Well, for one thing its recycling in a whole new way.  Why dump these bottles off in a landfill when we can reuse them, plus they clean so darn easily.  Before we can start experimenting with different flavorings we will need to sanitize these bottles.  Why yes, we will be using Straight A again, good guess!  Take a quarter of a teaspoon of Straight A and poor it into the bottles, give them a shake with hot water and rinse.  Also, don't forget to wash the caps too.  Once we have completely sanitized we can now bottle said kombucha...   



What I have done here is simply poor my 'buch into a clean and sanitized cup for easier pouring.  If you have a funnel use it, you'll be glad you did.  Next, I added a quarter of a cup of blueberry juice to another cup.  I added the kombucha and the blueberry juice to the bottle and repeated 7 times.  I also grated fresh ginger into a paper towel and squeezed that into the bottles as well.  Can you tell I like the "gingerberry" flavor of G.T's! 

Above is a collection of bottles I have been saving and storing away.  The picture to the right is my finished product.  Now I will let some additional fermentation happen, so I will have some nice bubbles.  For those of you new to kombucha, you must understand there is no Alcohol in kombucha.  Kombucha does not ferment in a bad way - the fermenting is literally giving us more good bacteria and healthy acids our bodies love. :)


This is my SCOBY that was formed off the one I got with the kit.  Its a very healthy looking SCOBY and no mold!  For those of you who have gotten mold in the past, give Straight A or a similar sanitizer a try.  On to the next batch, I'm going to need some more gallon jars!  Carry on Kombucha lovers...

No comments:

Post a Comment